Thursday, March 11, 2010

"Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of living is joy enough." Emily Dickinson

Today I saw my primary therapist.  My therapist for anxiety (secondary therapist) told me that I had to be honest with her and tell her about the unfortunate incident that happened with my sister on Friday, as well as the subsequent breakdown and cutting.  So, I did.  I told her all of it, and cried in her office-which I have never done.  I am proud to say I have never cried in her presence, mostly because I am intimidated by her.  She is a tough love sort of therapist.  But it felt good to get it all out and tell her how depressed I have been feeling and up and down, and crying a lot.  She gave good advice, and I did come away feeling better.

It comes down to using my DBT skills I guess.  She says that I have to stop in the moment and think about what I am doing and use my "wise mind" and not my "emotional mind".  I am REALLY going to have to work on that.  Plus, I'm going to have to find more joy in the activities that I enjoy, like the quote above implies.  I think I can do it.  I know I can (with the help of meds-of course).  :)

1 comment:

  1. I've heard the wise mind over emotional mind several times these last couple of weeks. However i also like to think of it as the rational mind and irrational mind which seems to make a lot of sense to me. I find DBT works quite well when things are a little bad but is much harder when things are really bad. Hope you can use the skills to help xx

    ReplyDelete